Three different squares are chosen randomly on a chessboard.
What is the probability that they lie in the same diagonal?
(In reply to grammar
From Random House Unabridged dictionary. Several of the meanings relate to object. Meaning 6 is probably most pertinent here.
lie², v., lay, lain, ly·ing, n.
1. to be in a horizontal, recumbent, or prostrate position, as on a bed or the ground; recline.
2. (of objects) to rest in a horizontal or flat position: The book lies on the table.
3. to be or remain in a position or state of inactivity, subjection, restraint, concealment, etc.: to lie in ambush.
4. to rest, press, or weigh (usually fol. by on or upon): These things lie upon my mind.
5. to depend (usually fol. by on or upon).
6. to be placed or situated: land lying along the coast.
7. to be stretched out or extended: the broad plain that lies before us.
8. to be in or have a specified direction; extend: The trail from here lies to the west.
9. to be found or located in a particular area or place: The fault lies here.
Posted by Charlie
on 2004-02-07 22:20:18