Home > Logic
|Girls Just Wanna Have Fun (Posted on 2003-11-06)
5 Girls (named Alice, Betty, Carol, Diane, Emily) visit a mall to shop. They come upon a clothing shop and they decide to buy clothing.
But, for some strange reason, different colored shirts cost different amounts, which now came in increments of 10 dollars. (Every shirt of the same color costs the same amount.) This store doesn't carry very many shirts; the most expensive one is 50 dollars, and they only come in red, green, blue, yellow, and orange.
Each girl goes into the store and finds two different shirts. No two girls got the same pair of shirts, and no girl got a shirt for free. It ended up that each color shirt was bought exactly twice.
Using the following clues, can you figure out the two colors of shirts each girl bought, and how much each color bought, as well as how much each girl spent?
1) When the 5 girls were comparing their purchases, they found that Diane spent the most money, 2 girls tied for second most money spent, and the other 2 girls spent the same amount of money as well.
2) When Carol bought the blue shirt, she was mad that the it was more expensive than the 10-dollar price it was last week, and didn't buy the green shirt because of this.
3) Diane's and Emily's different styles resulted in them not buying any shirts the same color as each other's.
4) Alice and Emily both decided not to buy the orange shirt, but instead, Alice went with Carol to pick out the same color shirt to buy, noting that it didn't cost 20 dollars like last week.
5) As Betty was waiting to buy a red shirt (which she did end up buying), she saw Carol buy a shirt that cost 40 dollars.
re: Each shirt purchased twice
| Comment 22 of 37 |
(In reply to Each shirt purchased twice
Until the official solution is posted, you should still be able to edit the puzzle (and solution) itself. This proviso can be added, so that in the future people seeing the puzzle for the first time will get the full intended set of clues.
Posted by Charlie
on 2003-11-08 09:30:42
Please log in:
About This Site
New Comments (4)
Top Rated Problems
This month's top
Most Commented On