The day following the robbery, Bill Bonche was out searching for the five suspects. He decided to go to the city's database on the computer and looked on the city radar. He located the robbed house and saw the five suspects and the streets they returned to (one lives on Dale Avenue). However, it was raining out, and parts of the notes he took were ruined by the water.
With the remaining information, figure out what street the suspects live on, their house number, their phone number, and what color their house is.
- The suspect who lives on Morgan Street has a 1 in their phone number. The red house has two of the same numbers in its house number.
- If you add up all of the digits in Chip Circle's house number, the total is three less than the total of the digits in the gray house's number, which is four greater than that of the house whose phone number is 693-9737.
- If you multiply the last two digits of the yellow house's phone number, the total is equal to the sum of the last two digits in the house with the house number 1036's phone number.
- The blue house's house number isn't the highest number, but is larger than both the house with the phone number 697-2215, which is the white house, and the house on Monarch Rd.
- The house on Sandy Lane doesn't have a repeated digit in its house number, has a phone number beginning in 693, and is not the blue house.
- One paper was completely wiped out except for the lists of house numbers (1036, 2137, 3321, 3778, 7978) and phone numbers (693-1314, 693-9737, 696-7123, 697-2215, 697-4479).
Starting with Clue 2, let's look at the sums of the house numbers. We have 10, 13, 9, 25, and 31 (respectively). The only ones that differ by 3 or 4 are 10, 13 and 9. Since "10 is three less than 13, which is four greater than 9" we know the following:
1036 Chip's Circle
2137 is Gray
3321 is 693-9737
Looking at Clue 5, wee see taht the phone number for Sandy Lane starts with 693-. There are only two 693- numbers, and one is already taken by house number 3321. Since Sandy Lane doesn't have a repeated digit in its house number, the phone number for Sandy Lane cannot be 693-9737. Therefore, Sandy Lane is 693-1314. Let's look at the fact that Sandy Lane doesn't have a repeated digit in it's house number again. There are only two such house numbers, and one is already taken by Chip's Circle. Therefore Sandy Lane is 2137, which we already know is Gray, so we have:
2137 Sandy Lane is Gray and 693-1314
Clue 4 tells us that the Blue house can only be 3321 or 3778, because it is not the highest numbered house, and there are two lower numbered houses. We already know the phone numbers for 2137 and 3321. Therefore, 697-2215 must be for house number 1036, which must also be white. So now we know:
1036 Chip's Circle is White and 697-2215
Clue 1 tells us that the Morgan Street phone number has a 1 in it. There are only three such phone numbers, two of which have been taken by Chip's Circle and Sandy Lane. Therefore:
Morgan street is 696-7123
On to Clue 3. We now know the phone number for house 1036, so we know the sum of the last two digits: 1+5=6. The only phone number where the product of the last two digits equals 6 is 696-7123, which is the Morgan Street house. So,
Morgan Street is Yellow and 696-7123
We can tell from Clue 4 that 3321 must be the Monarch Street address. Since the Blue house has to have an address larger than the Monarch Street address, and since Chip's Circle and Sandy Lane are already taking two of the smallest house numbers, we know that Monarch Street must be 3321. Otherwise, the Blue house would be smaller than Monarch, or have the largest house number, which we are told it cannot. And since Blue can only be 3321 or 3778 (as mentioned above), we know the following:
3321 Monarch Street is 693-9737
3778 is Blue
The Blue house can't be on Chip's Circle or Sandy Lane, of course, nor can it be on Morgan Street (since Morgan Street is Yellow), and it also can't be on Monarch due to the house numbers. Therefore the Blue house must be on Dale Avenue. This means that the only street left for the Red house is Monarch. And there is only one phone number left for the Blue house (697-4479). So:
3321 Monarch Street is Red and 693-9737
3778 Dale Avenue is Blue and 697-4479
Edited on August 16, 2004, 2:08 pm
Posted by nikki
on 2004-08-16 13:59:13