After finding where the five suspects' houses were located, Bill Bonche visited each of the houses and noted what car each suspect had in the driveway, along with the description of each car. He also found out another piece of information by seeing a recent birthday card in their back seats. Using the given information, figure out the age of each suspect (37, 27, 22, 25, and 33), the car that they drive and its color, and the pennant they have on their antennae.
- The green car's owner is 3 years older than the Mustang's owner, who is 12 years younger than the owner of the car with the Rams pennant on it.
- The owner of the Hummer was between 23 and 30 years old, had a pennant of a team with at least one I in its name, and is a color that is five letters long.
- The blue and red cars have either the Raiders or the Rams pennant on their car, but the 27 year-old-suspect didn't own the red one.
- Every car shares at least one letter of its name with the pennant that is on it, with the exception of the Hummer.
- The 27 year-old-suspect had the Raiders pennant on their car. The Packers pennant was on the Mustang.
- The suspect who was 33 had the black Corvette.
Clue 1: At the very least, the green car is not a Mustang, and it doesn’t have a Rams pennant, and the Mustang doesn’t have the Rams pennant either. I think there is a typo and it should say "AND who is 12 year younger…" In that case, the green car owner must be 25, then the Mustang owner is 22, and the owner of the Rams pennant is 37.
27 year old has the Raiders pennant (clue 5), and not the red car (clue 3), so he must have the Blue car (clue 3). His car is not a Corvette (clue 6), Hummer (clue 2), or Mustang (clue 5).
So the Red car has the Rams on it (clue 3). So the owner must be 37 (clue 1). The Red car is not a Corvette (clue 6), Hummer (clue 2), Mustang (clue 1), or Jeep (clue 4). So the 37 year old owns the Red Ferrari the Rams pennant.
Since the Ferrari is taken now, this means that the 27 year old owns the Blue Jeep with the Raiders pennant.
The 22 year old owns the Mustang (clue 1) which has the Packers pennant (clue 5). The Mustang cannot be blue (above), red (above), black (clue 6), or green (clue 1) so it must be White. So the 22 year old owns the White Mustang with the Packers pennant.
The Hummer must be white, black or green (clue 2) but black is taken (clue 6) and so is white (above) so the Hummer must be green. So the Hummer owner must be 25 (clue 1). The pennant on the Hummer must be the Vikings or Dolphins (clues 2 and 4).
Um, I know the 25 year old owns the Green Hummer, and the 33 year old owns the Black Corvette, but I don’t see anything that tells me where the Vikings and Dolphins pennants go. Both have an I in it and none of the Hummer’s letters so they could both go on the Hummer, and each has a letter in Corvette (v and o) so they could both go on the Corvette!
I also don't like that I had to guess about the typo in clue 1. As Rajal mentioned, the way it is written implies that "25 is older than 22, which is 12 year younger than 34 (since 22 + 12 = 34)." But if my typo guess is right, then 37 makes sense.
Posted by nikki
on 2004-08-20 17:13:57