For Halloween one year four children, who are good friends, decided that they would each wear a different costume for trick-or-treating together.
One wore a skeleton costume, one dressed up as a pirate, one wore a scary witch costume, and one dressed up as Robin Hood.
From the statements that follow, what is the surname (either Finley, Smith, or Dixon) of each child, and what was the costume each wore?
1. Jimmy and Molly, neither of whom wore a pirate costume or a witch costume, are brother and sister.
2. The Smith boy lives across the street from Jimmy and Molly; he didn't wear a witch costume.
3. Billy lives several blocks away, and he didn't wear a pirate costume.
4. The one who wore a skeleton costume was the hit of the evening. He was not Sam.
5. One of the Dixons wore a Robin Hood costume.
From 1: Jimmy & Molly Live together
From 2: Smith lives opposite them
From 3: Billy lives further away
From 5: Jimmy & Molly are the Dixons
From 1&2: Billy wore the Witch costume
From 1&2: Smith wore the Pirate costume
From 4: Molly wore the Skeleton costume
From 4: Jimmy wore the Robinhood costume
Now the remaining First name & Last name belong to the Smith & Billy respectively
Jimmy - Dixon - Skeleton
Molly - Dixon - Robin
Sam - Smith - Pirate
Billy - Finley - Witch
Edited on April 20, 2005, 1:29 pm
Posted by Syzygy
on 2005-04-20 13:17:51