, one evening, rather unwisely, announced at dinner that he was cutting someone out of his will. Sure enough, the next morning, Sir Levikus
was found slumped over the desk in his study, having been fatally stabbed with a paper-knife.
Herlock Sholmes, renowned private investigator, immediately began questioning all the suspects to discover who had seen the victim last.
Here are their statements, all of which are true:
a) His long-time friend, Martin, said : "I went to the study to show Sir Levikus a first edition I bought yesterday. He kept it to examine more closely."
b) Lady Jane (my sweet Lady Jane...), Sir Levikusīs wife (now widow), said : "I borrowed the evening newspaper from my husband. There was no paper-knife present at that time; I would have remembered it."
c) Nathan, the son of the deceased, said: "I did not have coffee with my father. When I went to the study he was reading the newspaper and smoking a cigar. He showed me Martinīs first edition."
d) Lisa, Sir Levikusīs daughter, said : "I went to return the newspaper mother had borrowed."
e) Tom, the butler, said: "As was usual after dinner, I brought the coffee service to the study. Sir Levikus was at his desk reading the evening newspaper."
f) Reny, the maid, said: "I only went in to clear the coffee service. I did see that four cups had been used."
g) Cristian, the brother of the murdered man, said: "Since there was no coffee when I went to the study, we had brandy together. I wanted to look at the newspaper, but it was not in the room."
h) Simone, Sir Levikusīs niece, said: "Certainly I recognize the paper-knife. My uncle brought it out when we were having coffee together. I noticed that one other cup had been used."
Herlock Sholmesīs incisive brain immediately determined who was the last person to visit Sir Levikus and thus, was his murderer.
Who was the killer? Can you list Sir Levikusīs eight visitors in order? Show your reasoning!
Tom, Lady Jane, Simone, Martin, Nathan, Reny, Christian, Reny
(1) Tom, the butler, enters the study with a coffee pot and four cups, which he sets out as Levikus is reading the evening newspaper. Tom then leaves the room.
(2) Lady Jane, enters the study and has a cup of coffee with Levikus. She then leaves the study, taking the evening newspaper with her.
(3) Simone enters the room to have coffee. She notices one other cup has been used.
(4) Martin later enters to show Levikus a first edition to a book he has a cup of coffee and leaves.
(5) Nathan, the son, enters the room. He finds Levikus reading the evening newspaper and smoking a cigar. He decides not to bother his father for coffee because he figures his father is busy however on the way out his father shows him the first edition that martin brought him
(6) Reny, the maid, comes in and removes the coffee pot and the four used cups (used by Levikus, Lady Jane, Simone and Martin.)
(7) Cristian, the brother, enters in search of the evening newspaper. Not finding it in the study, he stays awhile. He too fails to notice the paper-knife lying on the desk. The coffee has just been removed
(8) Lisa, the daughter, enters the room to return the newspaper that her mother had borrowed it was late at nite so when she told her mother she would return it for her while she was in the room she finds out that since she was the youngest she was the person who was cut from her fathers will she thens sees the paper knife grabs it and kills her father thus making her the murderer.
Posted by mish
on 2005-07-23 16:04:13