All about flooble | fun stuff | Get a free chatterbox | Free JavaScript | Avatars    
perplexus dot info

Home > Logic
Chess Strategy (Posted on 2006-08-01) Difficulty: 2 of 5
A man has to win two games in a row in order to win a prize. In total, he has to play only three games. The opponents are weak or strong. He has to at least play one strong opponent, and he cannot play consecutively two weak opponents. What sequence should he choose to play?

No Solution Yet Submitted by Salil    
Rating: 3.2857 (7 votes)

Comments: ( Back to comment list | You must be logged in to post comments.)
re: Too simple | Comment 4 of 7 |
(In reply to Too simple by Old Original Oskar!)

I believe Old Original Oskar is correct.

In a program simulation of 1,000,000 tournaments, with the odds of beating a weak opponent at 70% and the odds of beating a strong opponent at only 30%, the results were a 27% chance of winning the tournament in the weak-strong-weak pattern, but 36% against the strong-weak-strong pattern.

It's a paradox that defies common sense, but that's why they call this "perplexus".

 

 

  

 

Edited on August 1, 2006, 11:25 am
  Posted by Penny on 2006-08-01 09:44:22

Please log in:
Login:
Password:
Remember me:
Sign up! | Forgot password


Search:
Search body:
Forums (0)
Newest Problems
Random Problem
FAQ | About This Site
Site Statistics
New Comments (10)
Unsolved Problems
Top Rated Problems
This month's top
Most Commented On

Chatterbox:
Copyright © 2002 - 2017 by Animus Pactum Consulting. All rights reserved. Privacy Information