Photos of seven people have been cut into five pieces ( head, legs, body, arms & feet ) and reassembled' so that each 'new' photo contains part of five different people. From the information given below infer the combination of each new photo.
1) Joseph's arms aren't with the body of the person whose arms are in the same picture as Gordon's feet.
2) Gordon's arms are in the same picture as Joseph's feet.
3) Danny's arms are in the same photo as Joseph's legs, but not Polly's head.
4) Polly's legs are attached to the feet of the person whose head tops the body of the person whose legs are in the same picture as Sheila's head.
5) Sheila's body now has the arms of someone whose legs are not attached to Danny's feet.
6) Polly's arms are in the same picture as Gordon's head.
7) Sheila's head is in the same photo as the feet of the person whose head is in the same photo as Gordon's legs.
8) Moira's head now tops Joseph's body.
9) Elaine's head is in the same photo as Sheila's legs, which now ends with the feet of the person whose legs are in the same picture as Joseph's arms.
10) Elaine's arms are in the same picture as the legs of the person whose feet are in the same photo as Gordon's body.
11) Sheila's body doesn't have the legs of the person whose body has Gordon's head.
12) Polly's body has the legs of someone whose arms are in the same as Elaine's legs.
(In reply to re(2): Solution
First establish 7 different identifiable pictures.
- From (2) Gordon’s arms and Joseph’s feet.
- From (3) Danny’s arms and Joseph’s legs.
- From (6) Polly’s arms and Gordon’s head.
- From (8) Moira’s head and Joseph’s body.
- From (9) Elaine’s head and Sheila’s legs.
- From (9) Joseph’s arms (cannot be in any of above).
- Joseph’s head (cannot be in any of above).
From pics only Moira’s arms can be in Pic.5
From pics and (3) only Sheila’s head can now be in Pic.2
From (4) Polly’s legs top Moira’s feet and from pics can only be in Pic.6 or 7.
Gordon’s legs can only be in Pics. 4, 6 or 7 so the head’s with Gordon’s legs can only be Moira, Danny, Polly, or Joseph, and from (7) and pics, of these only Polly’s feet can be in Pic.2.
So, from (7), Polly’s head and Gordon’s legs are in Pic.6, so Polly’s legs and Moira’s feet must be Pic.7, and Danny’s head must now be Pic.1. Also from (9) Gordon’s feet are in Pic.5.
We now have:
Pic.1 Danny’s head, Gordon’s arms, Joseph’s feet.
Pic.2 Sheila’s head, Danny’s arms, Joseph’s legs, Polly’s feet.
Pic.3 Gordon’s head, Polly’s arms
Pic.4 Moira’s head, Joseph’s body
Pic.5 Elaine’s head, Mira’s arms, Sheila’s legs, Gordon’s feet
Pic.6 Polly’s head, Joseph’s arms, Gordon’s legs
Pic.7 Joseph’s head, polly’s legs, Moira’s feet.
From pics, Gordon’s body can only be in Pic.2 or 7 and Moira’s legs can only be in Pic.1 or 3, and so from (10) Gordon’s body cannot be in Pic.7 with Moira’s legs and must be in Pic.2.
From (10) Elaine’s arms are in Pic.7 which now means Sheila’s arms must be in Pic.4.
Elaine’s legs can be in Pic.1, 3 or 4 and the arms in these pics belong to Gordon, Polly and Sheila so from (12) and pics Polly’s body must be in Pic.5 and Elaine’s legs in Pic.4
Now, Danny’s legs can only be in Pic.3 leaving Pic.1 for Moira’s legs.
From (1) Moira’s body is not in Pic.6 so can now only be in Pic.3
Only Danny’s feet can be in Pic.4.
From (11) Sheila’s body cannot be in Pic.1 with Moira’s legs so only Elaine’s body can now go in Pic.1.
From (5) Sheila’s body cannot go with Elaine’s arms in Pic.7 so must be in Pic.6 leaving Danny’s body for Pic.7
Finally Sheila’s feet must now be Pic.3 and Elaine’s feet in Pic.6
Posted by Syrup
on 2006-09-28 11:11:46