In a recent competition all 11 contestants lined up in a straight line to have their photograph taken for the local newspaper. So that the winner would stand out from the other contestants, the winner was asked to stand out on a box in the center of the line up.
The following is known:
- Alec and Alma stood to the right of the box.
- Adam stood to the right of Alroy.
- Two people stood between Aaron and Aubyn.
- Archy and Adrian stood to the left of the box.
- Six people stood between Alma and Aaron.
- Seven people stood between Alston and Albert.
- Anthony and Adrian stood on either side of Aaron.
- Two people stood between Aaron and Archy.
Based upon the abovementioned information, determine the winner of the competition.
There are eight combinations which fit the eight criteria, but ALROY is in the center (i.e. position 6) for all, so he is the winner.
Aaron is always 4, Alma is 11, Archy is 1, and Aubyn is 7. Adam and Alec are 8 or 9. Adrian and Anthony are 3 or 5. Albert and Alston are 2 or 10. (1..11 === left to right, 6 in center).