All about flooble | fun stuff | Get a free chatterbox | Free JavaScript | Avatars    
perplexus dot info

Home > Probability
A blue taxi (Posted on 2002-05-24) Difficulty: 4 of 5
A crime has occured in Carborough, involving a taxi. The police interviewed an eyewitness, who stated that the taxi involved was blue.

The police know that 85% of taxis in Carborough are blue, the other 15% being green. They also know that statistically witnesses in these situations tend to be correct 80% of the time - which means they report things wrong the other 20% of the time.

What is the probability that the taxi involved in the crime was actually blue?

See The Solution Submitted by levik    
Rating: 3.7857 (14 votes)

Comments: ( Back to comment list | You must be logged in to post comments.)
re(2): A more paradoxical version. | Comment 12 of 17 |
(In reply to re: A more paradoxical version. by fwaff)

I disagree. If the person said that the taxi was green, and witnesses are right 80% of the time, then the probability that it was green has to be at least 80%. If the witnesses are straight out wrong the other 20%, then the probability is exactly 80%. If, as friedlinguini suggested, they say random things 20% of the time, then there is 80% + (20% * 15%) = 83% chance.
Edited on September 9, 2003, 4:09 pm
  Posted by Sam on 2003-09-09 16:08:50

Please log in:
Login:
Password:
Remember me:
Sign up! | Forgot password


Search:
Search body:
Forums (0)
Newest Problems
Random Problem
FAQ | About This Site
Site Statistics
New Comments (0)
Unsolved Problems
Top Rated Problems
This month's top
Most Commented On

Chatterbox:
Copyright © 2002 - 2020 by Animus Pactum Consulting. All rights reserved. Privacy Information