The sisters of Aaron Green were Betty and Clara; the name of Aaron's girlfriend was Flora Brown and, Duane and Edwin were Flora’s brothers.
Their occupations were as follows:
- Aaron was a doctor.
- Betty was a doctor.
- Clara was a lawyer.
- Duane was a doctor.
- Edwin was a lawyer.
- Flora was a lawyer.
One of the six killed one of the other five. Here are some clues to the murder.
- If the killer and the victim were related, the killer was a man.
- If the killer and the victim were not related, the killer was a doctor.
- If the killer and the victim had the same occupation, the victim was a man.
- If the killer and the victim had different occupations, the victim was a woman.
- If the killer and the victim were of the same sex, the killer was a lawyer.
- If the killer and victim were different sexes, the victim was a doctor.
Who was the killer? Who was the victim?
I created a series of 6x6 matrices numbered 1 thru 6 for each of the six rules, grouping them into three pairs. Each cell was filled with either T or F according to the stipulations for each rule. From the first two rules, it is clear that neither Clara nor Flora could be the killer since neither was a man or a doctor - the results of rules 1 and 2 respectively.
I then wrote logic comparing the cells in each pair, looking for a 'T' in either corresponding cell for each pair. All three pairs must have at least one 'T' for each cell position.
The only combo that returned a 'T' for all three pairs was Betty as the killer and Duane as the victim.
Posted by hoodat
on 2012-12-19 00:33:59