Two women, Arlene and Cheryl, and two men, Burton and Donald, are musicians. They are a pianist, a violinist, a flutist, and a drummer, in some order. On a day they were seated around a square table:
- The person who sat across from Burton was the pianist.
- The person who sat across from Donald was not the flutist.
- The person who sat on Arlene's left was the violinist.
- The person who sat on Cheryl's left was not the drummer.
- The flutist and the drummer were married.
Who is the drummer?
: Each of the flutist and the drummer has precisely one spouse, of the opposite gender.
Let Arlene=A, Burton = B, Cheryl = C, Donal = D,
Drummer= d, Flutist = f, Pianist = p, Violinist =v then two possibilities are
Solution 1 - Bf, Dd, Ap, Cv
Solution 2 - Bf, Cd, Ap, Dv
But Solution 1 is unacceptable since B & D cannot be a couple of opposite sex.
The drummer is C - Cheryl.
Posted by Salil
on 2013-03-21 01:37:48