Determine the ages of Mary, George, Alice, Claire and Stephen if:
- Mary and George total 33 years between them.
- Alice and Claire total 95 years between them.
- Stephen and Mary total 72 years between them.
- Mary and Claire total 87 years between them.
- Stephen and George total 73 years between them.
I saw SH's solution- nice and effective . .
However, mine 1is D1 or less- let me share it with you.
he computation basically boils down to dealing with the same numbers, but I treated it as a D1 probloem (no algebra notation , no pen and paper), reasoning as follows:
If Marys age were 0 then G=33(eq1) and S=72(eq2),jointly 105-
now, eq5 specifies only 73, the missing part is twice M's age.
M=32/2=16 & the rest follows ==>eq4==>eq2.