Esther is engaged. Her fiancé is either Arthur, Barton, Claude, or Dexter.
- Each of the four men and Esther is a knight or a liar.
- Arthur says: "Exactly one of us four men is a knight."
- Barton says: "Exactly one of us four men is a liar."
- Claude says: "Arthur or Barton is Esther’s fiancé."
- Esther says: "My fiancé and I are either
both knights, or both of us are liars."
Who is Esther's fiancé?
(In reply to re: computer solution
by Ady TZIDON)
Esther's standing being open is not contradictory to the text. She is definitely the fiancee of Barton, who is a knight, and is either lying about being the same or is telling the truth about being the same (i.e., a knight). That's all that the text says.
Of course it's an exclusive or between liar and knight. I never said it wasn't.
Posted by Charlie
on 2013-03-25 18:39:32