A festival was held each autumn by the Minikins, and there was much feasting and many contests. At one such time, Ekum, Elfum, Eskum, and Evum each won a first place in one of these events: acorn gathering, dancing, singing, and huckleberry eating; not necessarily in that order.
Curiously, each winner also won a second place and a third place in two other of these four events. From the statements below find out who won first place, who won second place, and who won third place in each of the four events.
- The one who placed second in huckleberry eating was third in dancing.
- The winner of the singing contest placed third in huckleberry eating.
- Evum did not place first in acorn gathering or dancing.
- Evum was a close second place behind Eskum in one of the four events.
- Elfum placed third in singing, but did not place in acorn gathering, and was not first in dancing.
Grid form of solving with name column & four columns of positions in Acorn gathering, Dancing, Eating Huckleberry & Singing gives the following solution for positions.
- Acorn Gathering - Eskum, Evum, Ekum, Elfum
- Dancing - Ekum, Elfum, Eskum, Evum
- Eating Huckleberry - Elfum, Eskum, Evum, Ekum
- Singing - Evum, Ekum, Elfum, Eskum
Posted by Salil
on 2013-04-30 00:36:55