What conclusion can you draw from the following statements?
- Some alligators carry umbrellas in the shower.
- Only those that know that flying fish live in trees prefer caramel candy to chocolate.
- Certain days are set aside for alligators to watch rabbits play hockey.
- Some large reptiles are steeplechasers.
- Only steeplechasers can watch hockey games.
- Those alligators that carry umbrellas in the shower know that flying fish live in the trees.
- Those that prefer chocolate to caramel candy cannot be steeplechasers.
- Steeplechasers are vegetarians.
Starting with statement 1 as a given, the running deductions are:
Jumping to 6: Some alligators know that flying fish live in the trees
Then to 2: Some alligators prefer caramel to chocolate
Then to 7 (this is tricky): Some alligators might be
(i.e. are not automatically excluded from being) steeplechasers
Then to 5: It is possible that some alligators watch hockey (since some alligators might be steeplechasers.
Then to 3: Since certain days are set aside for alligators to watch hockey, there must indeed be alligators that watch hockey (or what's the point?) therefore: Some alligators watch hockey, and those alligators must also be steeplechasers (consistent with 4,5).
Then to 8: Some alligators are vegetarians
Answer: Some alligators are vegetarians
Edited on December 31, 2013, 8:10 pm
Posted by Kenny M
on 2013-12-31 20:02:10