This past February, Ms. Wilson asked her class to keep track of the temperature every day for one week. They made a chart to post the outdoor temperatures for each day of the school week at 9:00 a.m. and at noon.
- On Monday, the temperature was 31 degrees Fahrenheit at noon. It had been 10 degrees colder that morning at 9:00 a.m.
- Thursday's 9:00 a.m. temperature was double the temperature for the same time on Monday.
- On Wednesday and Thursday, the temperature rose 6 degrees from nine o'clock until noon.
- Tuesday morning at 9:00 a.m., the temperature was 10 degrees warmer than on Monday at the same time. At noon on Tuesday, it was exactly at the freezing mark.
- Wednesday noon was 3 degrees colder than Thursday noon.
- The first reading on Friday was 5 degrees colder than the day before at the same time. It warmed up 5 degrees each hour until noon.
What was the temperature each day at 9:00 a.m. and at noon?
(In reply to Solution
Read your structured solution and found that it supports my reservations regarding puzzle's quality.
Your solution is (and rightly so) a repeated application of a
not-so-complicated formula a+b=c, no creativity required.
IMHO the level of "filtering" at the review board should be taken
a little bit more seriously.