All about flooble | fun stuff | Get a free chatterbox | Free JavaScript | Avatars    
perplexus dot info

Home > Probability
S.S. Minnow SOS (Posted on 2020-09-02) Difficulty: 3 of 5
The coast guard station has received a distress call from the S.S. Minnow, sinking near one of two islands in opposite directions from the station. The call was interrupted by radio failure on the Minnow before the tourboat could specify which of the two islands it was near.

The station chief knows from experience with that tour operator that there is a 20% chance the boat is near island A and an 80% chance it's near island B. The station has 13 rescue boats, and, again from experience, it is known that each rescue boat has, independently of the other search boats, a 20% probability of finding a distressed boat if indeed a distressed boat is present, effecting a rescue.

How should the 13 boats be split between the two islands to maximize the probability that the people aboard the Minnow will be rescued? What is the probability that they will in fact be rescued if that optimal strategy is followed?

Part 2:

Suppose the coast guard station has 40 boats available but each one has only a 5% probability, independently, of finding a ship in trouble (given there is one in that location to be found). And further, there's only a 10% probability the boat is near island A, 90% of being near island B.

See The Solution Submitted by Charlie    
No Rating

Comments: ( You must be logged in to post comments.)
  Subject Author Date
Possibly solutionLisa Reynolds2020-10-06 14:40:37
SolutionSolutionBrian Smith2020-09-04 10:13:23
Hopefully a Solutionhoodat2020-09-02 19:37:11
re: Possibly solutionJer2020-09-02 09:46:00
Possibly solutionJer2020-09-02 09:38:59
Soln (the Minnow might be lost)Steven Lord2020-09-02 09:38:52
Please log in:
Remember me:
Sign up! | Forgot password

Search body:
Forums (0)
Newest Problems
Random Problem
FAQ | About This Site
Site Statistics
New Comments (1)
Unsolved Problems
Top Rated Problems
This month's top
Most Commented On

Copyright © 2002 - 2021 by Animus Pactum Consulting. All rights reserved. Privacy Information