By sheer coincidence, each of them was given one of the first six cabins - three of which are on the north side of Rainbow Lane (west to east) numbered 1,3, and 5 and three on the south side of Rainbow Lane (west to east) numbered 2,4, and 6. Number 1 is directly across from number 2, etc.
Each stayed in a cabin of different color: lavender, lemon yellow, lime green, peach, pink, and sky blue.
+-------+--------+--------+ | 1 | 3 | 5 | +-------+--------+--------+ ←--------Rainbow --------→ Lane +-------+--------+--------+ | 2 | 4 | 6 | +-------+--------+--------+In the first night, each of the six guests were kept awake most of the night in or near his/her cabin. These were: barking dog, buzzing fly, chirping cricket, croaking frog, hooting owl, or yowling cats.
The following is known:
- Chirping crickets kept the person up who had the cabin immediately between Mrs. Whites' and the person who had the lemon yellow cabin.
- Mrs. Peacock's cabin was directly across from Mr. Green's cabin and next to that of the person who tried in vain to kill a buzzing fly in his/her cabin.
- The lime green cabin was on the same side as, and somewhere to the east of Prof. Plum's cabin.
- The sky blue cabin was south of, although not necessarily directly across from Col. Mustard's cabin.
- The number of the cabin of the individual who was unable to sleep because of croaking frogs (which was somewhere west of the peach cabin) was exactly twice that of the individual who listened to cats yowling all night long.
- The pink cabin had a smaller number than Mrs. Peacock's cabin and a larger number than the lavender cabin.
- Col. Mustard's cabin number was more than twice that of the person who was kept up by a hooting owl.