A man escapes from jail with the help of his girlfriend.
• Four girls are accused of being the man's girlfriend.
• His girlfriend is lying.
• Two girls are innocent and telling the truth.
• The other girl is the man's sister who is helping the girlfriend lie.
The statements of the four female suspects are as follows:
- Anne: "Megan is his girlfriend".
- Emily: "Anne is lying".
- Viola: "Emily is lying".
- Megan: "Viola is not his sister".
Determine the name of the man's sister from the above mentioned clues. Who is his girlfriend?
Assume Anne is telling the truth. Then Megan is the girlfriend and is lying, making Viola the sister who must be lying, so Emily is telling the truth. If Emily is telling the truth then it follows that Anne must lying, which is a contradiction.
Assume Anne is lying (she is either girlfriend or sister). Emily is telling the truth, Viola is lying. We have two liars, so Megan is telling the truth. If Viola is not the sister, then she is the girlfriend and Anne is the sister.
Anne: sister, liar, Viola: girlfriend, liar.
Posted by Kenny M
on 2023-02-18 08:44:13