After finding where the five suspects' houses were located, Bill Bonche visited each of the houses and noted what car each suspect had in the driveway, along with the description of each car. He also found out another piece of information by seeing a recent birthday card in their back seats. Using the given information, figure out the age of each suspect (37, 27, 22, 25, and 33), the car that they drive and its color, and the pennant they have on their antennae.
- The green car's owner is 3 years older than the Mustang's owner, who is 12 years younger than the owner of the car with the Rams pennant on it.
- The owner of the Hummer was between 23 and 30 years old, had a pennant of a team with at least one I in its name, and is a color that is five letters long.
- The blue and red cars have either the Raiders or the Rams pennant on their car, but the 27 year-old-suspect didn't own the red one.
- Every car shares at least one letter of its name with the pennant that is on it, with the exception of the Hummer.
- The 27 year-old-suspect had the Raiders pennant on their car. The Packers pennant was on the Mustang.
- The suspect who was 33 had the black Corvette.
(In reply to No Subject
by anonymous user)
You said you read some of the comments, but I don't think you read the most important ones. Check out this comment.
There was much debate for some time over this puzzle (dragged out mostly by Rajal and me) about the fact that even with that information there were still two possible answers. However, Susan saw our error and corrected us.
So the first person to post the correct solution is Susan, and her comment is found here.
The people who posted similar solutions had the information from the first link I referenced, which is why they all look similar to you. Before you let yourself get shocked and disturbed, or say that we lack ingenuity, again, read though more of the comments next time.
I do agree that there are SO many times when 50 people all post "the answer is 2" and leave no explanation whatsoever. That doesn't mean they just copied and pasted, they just forgot to give their solution with their answer.
Oh yeah, and welcome to Perplexus :)
Edited on December 8, 2004, 3:47 pm
Posted by nikki
on 2004-12-08 15:44:26