In this next puzzle, it contains a series of statements. However, you will find that one statement is false. It will be necessary for you to identify the false one in order to solve the puzzle.
Carl and three of his friends who are avid fishermen decided to visit four of the world's finest sport fishing locations over a period of four years. Each friend had a different favorite location, so they chose the order in which they would take the trips by drawing the place names from a hat. Based on the statements below, what is the first name (Andy, Bill, Carl, or Dennis) and surname (Barrott, Cole, Crowley, or Whelan) of each friend, what was the favorite fishing location of each, and what was the order in which the trips were to be taken?
1. Andy and Barrott work for the same company; Bill is self-employed.
2. The Iceland trip was planned for the year before the Alaska trip, which was not Andy's Favorite destination.
3. Carl and Barrott and their wives frequently play bridge together.
4. Whelan's favorite fishing location was the third trip, which was neither Patagonia nor New Zealand.
5. Whelan and Cole are married; the other two are not.
6. Dennis was disappointed that his favorite destination, New Zealand, was not to be the first; Crowley's favorite destination was planned for the last trip, so he was unsympathetic.
7. Barrott's favorite destination was the first.
The false statement is either 3 or 5. 5 says Whelan and Cole are married and the other two are not. But 3 says that Barrott has a wife. So one of these must be a lie. This meanst hat 1, 2, 4, 6 and 7 are all true. Let’s work with those for now.
From Clue 1 we know Barrott was not Andy or Bill. So he can only be Carl or Dennis. Clue 6 says that Dennis’ favorite destination was not first, and Clue 7 says that Barrott’s favorite destination was first. So Barrott cannot be Dennis. Therefore Barrott is Carl Barrott, who had the first destination.
Therefore Clue 3 is the false statement since it is saying that Carl and Barrott are two different people.
We already said Dennis couldn’t be Barrott. He can’t be Whelan because Clue 4 says Whelan’s favorite destination was not New Zealand, and Dennis’ IS New Zealand. He also can’t be Crowley because Clue 6 says that Crowley wasn’t sympathetic to Dennis being bummed about being first. Therefore Dennis is Dennis Cole.
Also, since Barrott was first, Whelan was third, and Crowley was last, this means Dennis Cole’s favorite destination, New Zealand, was Second.
Clue 2 says that Iceland was planned the year before the Alaska trip. The only way that would be possible (since we know New Zealand is second) is if Iceland is third and Alaska is fourth. And since Andy’s favorite destination wasn’t Alaska it must have been Iceland. Therefore we have:
Carl Barrott’s Patagonia the First year.
Dennis Cole’s New Zealand the Second year.
Andy Whelan’s Iceland the Third year.
Bill Crowley’s Alaska the Fourth year.
And again, the 3rd statement is false.
The only piece of information I didn’t really need was that Whelan’s favorite destination wasn’t Patagonia (Clue 4).
Posted by nikki
on 2005-04-25 13:37:15