Nine inhabitants of the island: Mel, Bart, Sue, Betty, Rex, Zeke, Sally, Zoey and Homer are busy at a conversation. A visitor from a neighboring island stops by and asks each of the nine inhabitants their respective identities. They say:
- Mel: "Only a liar would say that Sally is a liar."
- Bart: "Rex is a liar."
- Sue: "Mel and Homer are liars."
- Betty: "I know that I am a knight and Sally is a liar."
- Rex : "Betty and I are both knights."
- Zeke: "At least one of the following is true: that Sally is a knight or that Sue is a knight."
- Sally:"It's false that Betty is a liar."
- Zoey: "It's not the case that Sue is a liar."
- Homer: "Betty is a liar or Zeke is a liar."