After finding where the five suspects' houses were located, Bill Bonche visited each of the houses and noted what car each suspect had in the driveway, along with the description of each car. He also found out another piece of information by seeing a recent birthday card in their back seats. Using the given information, figure out the age of each suspect (37, 27, 22, 25, and 33), the car that they drive and its color, and the pennant they have on their antennae.
- The green car's owner is 3 years older than the Mustang's owner, who is 12 years younger than the owner of the car with the Rams pennant on it.
- The owner of the Hummer was between 23 and 30 years old, had a pennant of a team with at least one I in its name, and is a color that is five letters long.
- The blue and red cars have either the Raiders or the Rams pennant on their car, but the 27 year-old-suspect didn't own the red one.
- Every car shares at least one letter of its name with the pennant that is on it, with the exception of the Hummer.
- The 27 year-old-suspect had the Raiders pennant on their car. The Packers pennant was on the Mustang.
- The suspect who was 33 had the black Corvette.
(In reply to re(8): Still does not seem complete
In a previous post, I had said
"I think this problem has several errors in it, and I'm going to keep thinking that until someone dumps a bucket of water in my face to wake me up and go 'duh!' and take back my statement."
Thank you, Susan, for being the one to dump the bucket of water in my face. Duh! and I hereby take back all my statements about where the Dolphins and Vikings pennant go. =)
I don't know if Matt intended it, but I guess since the h in Dolphins is contributing to F sound (not an H sound) I unconsciously missed it. Kind of like one of those problems where you are supposed to count Fs, and you miss the F in "of" since it makes a V sound. Anyways.
I still believe the first statement has a typo about the ages ("who is 12 years younger" should say "and is 12 years younger").
But the point is Susan is very correct and I am humbled by her intelligence. Thank you, Susan!
Posted by nikki
on 2004-08-30 10:33:09