The six women in the Smith family disagree about the best family recipe for rice. They decide to cook all of the dishes at once to test them side-by-side. After much debating, they made a plan of who should make which recipes, but it took so long deciding even they could not remember what they had decided on.
Sally, Amy, Mary, Erica, and Jenny are going to cook. They will all be using the recipe of a different relation (Grandmother, Mother, Aunt, Sister and Daughter). The dishes they are making are Black Beans and Rice, Red Beans and Rice, Green Beans and Rice, Vegetables and Rice, and Chicken and Rice.
Find which relation’s recipe each is following and which dish they are making. (Example: Beth is making her Great-Aunt Rebecca’s Blueberry Pie.)
- Neither Mary nor Jenny needs beans to cook.
Erica, Mary, and Jenny are sisters.
No one is making their own recipe.
“Grandmother” is not cooking this year.
Erica and Amy are both making Kay’s recipes, but no one is making Sally or Erica’s recipes.
Erica and Jenny’s daughters are both cooking this year, however, neither girl is cooking her mother’s recipe.
Jenny and Amy’s recipes don’t call for beans.
The daughter’s recipe is the only one that calls for meat.
Kay’s recipes call for Red and Green Beans.
Erica needs to buy Green Beans to cook.
Kay is the only one to have two of her recipes being made.
(In reply to Different Solution?
Erica and Amy are both making Kay's recipes. Kay must be the mother of one of them and the grandmother of the other one; otherwise the sister relationships among Erica, Mary, and Jenny can't be reconciled with all the other conditions.
The unique solution I get has Kay as the grandmother. Sisters Erica, Mary and Jenny are her daughters. Amy is the daughter of Jenny and Sally is the daughter of Erica.
(1) The Black Beans and Rice were prepared by Sally, from the recipe of her Aunt Mary.
(2) The Red Beans and Rice were prepared by Amy, from the recipe of her Grandmother Kay.
(3) The Green Beans and Rice were prepared by Erica, from the recipe of her Mother Kay.
(4) The Vegetables and Rice were prepared by Mary, from the recipe of her Sister Jenny.
(5) The Chicken and Rice were prepared by Jenny, from the recipe of her daughter Amy.
Edited on December 29, 2006, 7:42 pm
Posted by Penny
on 2006-12-29 19:40:31