Nine Minikins, looking for adventure, decided to float down a nearby river on rafts. Three rafts, identified as #1, #2, and #3, were constructed from bundles of reeds tied with vines. A destination down the river was identified and the three rafts were launched.
One of the rafts, passing under a bridge, was pulled underwater by a troll; the three occupants were able to swim to safety. One raft became waterlogged mid-trip and had to be beached. Only one raft arrived at the predetermined destination.
Based on the following statements, which three Minikins were on which raft and how did each three fare?
- Neither Ekum, Elfum, nor Egum was on raft #2, nor were all three on the same raft.
- Epum and Edum were on the same raft. It was not the one that became waterlogged.
- Evum, whose raft was not pulled underwater by the troll, was not on the same raft as either Egum or Ekum.
- Ebum and Ekum were on the same raft. It was not the one that became waterlogged.
- Egum was on raft #3 along with Eskum.
- Efrum was not on the raft that was pulled underwater by the troll.
If Ekum=K, Elfum =L, Egum=G, Epum = P, Edum=D, Evum = V, Ebum = B, Efrum = F, Eskum = S
From clues persons the persons who cannot be in waterlogged raft are K, P, D, B. From rest GS are together and V cannot be in waterlogged boat either since in that case LFV would be in waterlogged boat and G,L,K cannot be on separate boats which means GLK were in raft #3. or PDB are together which is not true since B & K are together. So option is GSF or GSL in waterlogged raft #3. If GSL were true than BKF will be in #1 and PDV in #2 since both F and V were not in the raft which was pulled underwater so this is not true. If GSF are in waterlogged raft #3, then PDV reached in raft #2 and BKL were in raft #1 pulled underwater by troll.
Edited on August 28, 2013, 6:44 am
Edited on August 28, 2013, 6:45 am
Posted by Salil
on 2013-08-27 07:40:54