Home > Logic
|The Midville Muddlers (Posted on 2005-04-15)
In this problem the puzzles each contain a series of statements. However you will find (or will have to find) that one statement is false. It will be necessary for you to find the false one in order to solve the puzzle.
The Midville Muddlers baseball team depends on four players to score most of their runs. The positions of the four are the three outfielders (rightfielder, centerfielder, and leftfielder) and the catcher. From the statements that follow, determine the first name (Henry, Ken, Leo, or Stan), surname (Dodson, Brooks, Clements, or Ashley), position, and batting average of each player. (The averages: .280, .295, .310, .325)
1. Neither Leo nor the catcher has a batting average over .300.
2. Three who are neighbors are Clements, the rightfielder, and the player who bats .325.
3. The centerfielder bats .295.
4. Stan's batting average is 30 points higher than that of Ken, who does not live near any of the other three.
5. Brooks and Henry, who is not Ashley, both bat over .300 and are in competition to see which will score the most runs this season.
6. Henry, who is neither the rightfielder nor the leftfielder, has a lower batting average than the catcher.
Remember one of these is false.
No Solution Yet
Submitted by ron
Rating: 3.5556 (9 votes)
re: The false statement
| Comment 6 of 22 |
(In reply to The false statement
by Federico Kereki)
Accepting that the sixth statement is false:
From 1: Leo and the Catcher are the lower batters.
From 3: Leo is the Centerfielder with .295, and the Catcher must then be .280.
From 2 and 4: The four players are Ken, Clements, the Rightfielder, and
the .325 batter. So, the Rightfielder is .310, Ken is the Catcher, Leo
is Clements. The Leftfielder must be .325. Stan is thus .310.
From 5: Henry is one top batter, so he is .325. Stan is Brooks. Since Henry isn't Ashley, Ken is. Henry is Dodson.
Ken Ashley, Catcher, .280
Leo Clements, Centerfielder, .295
Stan Brooks, Rightfielder, .310
Henry Dodson, Leftfielder, .325
Please log in:
About This Site
New Comments (2)
Top Rated Problems
This month's top
Most Commented On