All about flooble | fun stuff | Get a free chatterbox | Free JavaScript | Avatars    
perplexus dot info

Home > Probability
A blue taxi (Posted on 2002-05-24) Difficulty: 4 of 5
A crime has occured in Carborough, involving a taxi. The police interviewed an eyewitness, who stated that the taxi involved was blue.

The police know that 85% of taxis in Carborough are blue, the other 15% being green. They also know that statistically witnesses in these situations tend to be correct 80% of the time - which means they report things wrong the other 20% of the time.

What is the probability that the taxi involved in the crime was actually blue?

See The Solution Submitted by levik    
Rating: 3.7857 (14 votes)

Comments: ( You must be logged in to post comments.)
  Subject Author Date
SolutionBlue's CluesMath Man2011-09-23 16:00:41
SolutionPuzzle SolutionK Sengupta2008-11-15 13:53:35
AnswerK Sengupta2008-10-08 00:27:21
re: kind of on the same lines......Charlie2007-02-21 09:39:17
Questionkind of on the same lines......sean2007-02-20 23:17:08
re(2): A more paradoxical version.Sam2003-09-09 16:08:50
re: A more paradoxical version.fwaff2003-03-27 06:30:37
A more paradoxical version.Charlie2003-03-26 14:09:57
Re: answer 2levik2002-05-28 11:33:12
Am I making this too simple?Carey2002-05-28 10:30:47
ANSWER 2Dulanjana2002-05-28 01:14:58
ANSWERDulanjana2002-05-27 23:58:38
ResponseTomM2002-05-25 04:15:37
Solution, and Why Previous Comments are WrongJim Lyon2002-05-24 08:00:36
Strange problem or bad wordingfriedlinguini2002-05-24 07:16:19
re: interesting reversallevik2002-05-24 06:50:56
interesting reversalTomM2002-05-24 05:18:48
Please log in:
Login:
Password:
Remember me:
Sign up! | Forgot password


Search:
Search body:
Forums (0)
Newest Problems
Random Problem
FAQ | About This Site
Site Statistics
New Comments (9)
Unsolved Problems
Top Rated Problems
This month's top
Most Commented On

Chatterbox:
Copyright © 2002 - 2017 by Animus Pactum Consulting. All rights reserved. Privacy Information